Sunday, February 8, 2009

Out with the old... Week 2

Week one didn't get off to a very quick start. The tile stripping was going very slow, so we did a little research and ended up renting this tile stripper, which worked great on the light tile but didn't budge the brown tile. Once the white tile was up, we had to rent a little handheld jackhammer to get the brown tile up. This pretty much took all day Saturday.
This is what my kitchen looked like Saturday afternoon. We spent a couple of hours cleaning it up and are still cleaning it up today! There is a nice layer of dust all over my house despite my best efforts to keep it contained!
Travis used the snow shovel to get the tile out! It worked very well. He also took my cabinets out today (just the lower ones!) And finished getting the tile up that was under them. This was a messy job!
Like most renovation jobs go, there is always something unexpected. It seems as if the last time the remodeled this kitchen they also redid the plumbing. Unfortunately, it looks like they put the cabinets in and then put the plumbing in. What this meant for us is that we had to completely demolish the lower cabinet to get it out. It also means that we have no idea how we're going to get the new cabinets in. I have a feeling that hiring a plumber is in order! Things just keep getting more and more expensive!
Sophie and Aiden hated staying upstairs all day and spent a lot of time on the stairs looking through the plastic. There is dust everywhere and for all of those who know me well, I'm spending most of my time fighting off a panic attack! I can't stand the chaos and disorder. It makes me anxious.
I cooked dinner last night in my electric skillet in the back room. That was a treat! I'm now doing dishes in the bathtub (upstairs) because there is no water downstairs. So next time you do dishes, just think that Kyndra is having to take all her dirty dishes upstairs and wash them in a bathtub and then carry them back downstairs... dishes don't seem all that bad now, do they?

2 comments:

  1. Kyndra, my advice is to buy paper plates, cups and plastic spoons until this project is over. Whatever gets you through with less stress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, I had completely planned on it and then forgot the stupid things when I went to the grocery store! But, that's just like me... always forgetting what I went for!

    ReplyDelete